Follow us
Fiance Visa Attorney Clearwater

3 Things You Can Do with Your Fiancé Visa

Your fiancé visa attorney in Clearwater can help your soon-to-be spouse enter the United States, but you must remember that your fiancé’s rights will be limited. A K-1 visa allows a person to come to the country for a particular reason — marriage to a U.S. Citizen. Luckily, with a little extra work, a few other benefits can come along with that. Let Julie Beth Jouben, P.A. help you through the ropes so you can do these three things while living in the U.S. with a K-1 visa.

1. Get a Job

A K-1 visa is only valid for 90 days, just enough time for your loved one to move, settle in Clearwater, plan your wedding, and tie the knot. If getting a job is important, you may be able to apply for a work permit. The usability of a K-1 is limited, so timing is everything. Your fiancé visa attorney can help you understand the time span you have and whether you will be able to receive your Employment Authorization Document, which is a card that allows you to hold a job, during that time.

2. Bring the Kids

If your future spouse has children, they can come too as long as they are under the age of 21 and are unmarried. The important thing your fiancé visa attorney wants you to remember is that they must be named on the original petition. Once they are listed, they will not need a separate request if they come to Clearwater within one year of the date when the K-1 visa was issued. You should list all minor children, even if you are not positive that they will come, to avoid having to go through the process of filing a separate petition later.

3. Get Married

The sole purpose of a K-1 is to give a United States citizen the opportunity to invite his or her soon-to-be spouse to get married in the United States. Planning the wedding, meeting the relatives, and settling in should be a top priority. If, during this time, the decision to marry is called off, the K-1 holder must return to his or her country.

Let Your Fiancé Visa Attorney Help You Get the Most of Your K-1 Visa

Your fiancé visa attorney in Clearwater can contribute to making sure that you get the most benefit from your K-1 visa during the application process. Give the law firm of Julie Beth Jouben, P.A. a call at 727-449-9929 or reach out to us online to discuss your current situation. If you are curious to see how likely it is that a K-1 will be granted to your fiancé, schedule a consultation so we can go over the specifics.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email